1. The Introduction
How you address your customer is going to be of prime importance when you start writing a response to a negative review. A customer who’s left you a really bad review is most likely gonna be either a) frustrated, b) angry, or c) disappointed with your business.
- Hey Melwin,
This is Isaac, owner of Isaac’s Bistro. We’re extremely sorry that you had a bad experience with us.
- Hi Rebecca,
I’m Suzana, the store manager at Ice Scream You Scream, Wilmington. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused you.
Both of these formats do three things right.
- They address the reviewer by their first name, making it a personal and non-robotic response.
- They introduce you – the person who is accepting responsibility for this – to the customer.
- They tell the customer that you regret the fact that a customer had to face a problem with your business.
A brief introduction to your response should be written with all these things in mind, always. Keep it concise, but make it honest.
2. Address the Issue
As much as the customer will be intrigued to see the notification that you’ve responded to them personally, what they really want you to do is solve the issue at hand. The next part of your response should immediately deal with the problem.
- I understand that you were expecting the package to be delivered on Wednesday. There has been a delay in dispatch of the shipping, and our tracking system is currently under maintenance. We will be delivering the item over to you by 8:00 PM today, at the latest. I’ve spoken to my delivery manager and made sure that it will be reach you at the earliest.
- We take great care to make sure that the ingredients that we use, pass through stringent quality measures before being used for preparation. One of our employees seems to have overlooked the expiry date on the package that our food supplier sold to us. We’re actively working on changing our wholesale foodstuff supplier right away.
3. Make it up to them
Once you’ve given them the reason behind the mishap and spoken about what you’re doing to fix it, talk to them about how you’re going to make it up to them. Or even better, ask them what they want you to do to compensate for it.
- Please visit our store again. We’d love to make it up to you by giving you a discount coupon for the troubles that we’ve caused you.
- Please call me at (123) 456-7890 and I’ll sort this out for you personally.
4. The Conclusion
Once you’re done with all this, apologize once more, and sign off with a signature. Thank them for giving you feedback about it, and how you’ll work on making the experience better for other customers.
- We wish that this hadn’t happened. We hope that we were of help here. Thank you for your feedback.
Manager at Joe’s Burgers.
- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ll make sure that this doesn’t happen again in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience once again.
Customer Service at Bloxco